Arnold & Mabel Beckman – Partners in Philanthropy
Beckman Young Investigator Program
Beckman Scholars Program
The Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation
"I accumulated my wealth by selling instruments to scientists, so I thought that it would be appropriate to make contributions to science. That’s been my number one guideline for charity"
-- Dr. Arnold O. Beckman
Dr. and Mrs. Beckman have generously contributed millions of dollars to the advancement of scientific research. In 1977, they made the decision to start the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation with a mission of supporting research in the chemical and life sciences (broadly defined) and especially in innovation in instrumentation.
In the first years of the Foundation, Dr. and Mrs. Beckman made five major institute grants to create new and innovative research centers:
- Beckman Institute at the California Institute of Technology
- Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at the University of Illinois
- Beckman Research Institute at the City of Hope Hospital and Medical Center
- Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic at the University of California in Irvine
- Beckman Center for Molecular and Genetic Medicine at Stanford University
These research centers continue to produce leading scientific breakthroughs and train the next generation of scientists in interdisciplinary research environments.
The Foundation also provided a grant to the National Academies of Science (NAS) to build the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center of the National Academies of Sciences and Engineering in Irvine, CA as a conference center and meeting space for scientific studies and discourse on the west coast.
Today, the Foundation is proud to continue the mission defined by Dr. and Mrs. Beckman to support innovation in science and the next generation of scientists through its grant programs.