Statement of Research Grant Policy & Procedure
The Beckman - Argyros Award in Vision Research rewards one individual annually who has made and is continuing to make significant transformative breakthroughs in vision research; particularly through the development of an innovative technology or fundamental scientific breakthrough that has been applied to, aided and/or improved the vision sciences.
Click here for the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation Online Grant Application System.
Application period is closed.
- One Award will be made annually.
- All applicants for the Award must be nominated. The Nominator must submit a statement on the importance of the work performed by the Nominee. The Nominee must submit a summary of the impact of their work as well as a research proposal for work that would be enabled by the Award.
- The Award consists of a research award of $400,000 to the Nominee’s laboratory, and a personal award of $100,000 paid directly to the Nominee.
To submit a Nomination Application, set up an account with our Online Grant System to complete the application and see the full list of required documents.. Once you’ve created an account, proceed to the Beckman-Argyros Award Nomination Application.
The application portal will generally be open for submissions June – September. Please check the online portal for exact deadlines each year.
The Foundation conducts in-person interviews in March/April to make a final selection decision for the Beckman-Argyros Award. You will be notified if you are invited to an interview.
Incomplete applications and/or materials received after the deadline will be eliminated from the competition.
The Nominee must be:
- A recognized leader in their field of scientific expertise who made a significant transformative breakthrough in vision research;
- Actively engaged in vision research or research which may be applied to vision sciences;
- A tenured M.D., Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. with an appointment in a basic science department, or a similar appointment;
- Conducting research at a U.S. university or research institution with a 501(c)(3), or other similarly qualifying, IRS designation;
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States at time of application.
The Nominator must:
- Hold an established post, such as, an Officer, dean or other authorized person with signing authority, at a University, Research Institution and be competent and qualified to identify the significant transformative research of the nominee; or
- Be an officer of a private/public corporation who has the authority to submit nomination applications on behalf of their company, and is competent, qualified and able to identify the significant transformative research of the nominee.
Additional eligibility considerations:
- Nominees can be, but need not be, from the home institution of the Nominator.
- Past recipients of the Beckman-Argyros Award are not eligible for Award consideration.
- Self nominations are not allowed.
- Committee members associated with the review and selection of the Beckman-Argyros Award are prohibited from submitting a nomination and/or being nominated for the award.
Contact the Program Administrator: