Statement of Research Grant Policy & Procedure
The Arnold O. Beckman Postdoctoral Fellows Award Program supports postdoctoral scholars with the highest potential for success in an independent academic career in chemistry and the life sciences, to assist in their transition from “mentored yet independent” postdoctoral projects to an independent, tenure-track position. These individuals are expected to become the next generation of leaders and innovators in science, engineering, and technology.
Click here for the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation Online Grant Application System.
Deadline: September 19, 2016
- Fellows will be appointed for two years, with possibility for renewal for a third and final year.
- Fellows may begin as early as September of their application year but no later than December 31.
- The award amount will range from $63,300 - $77,000, based upon years of postdoctoral research experience, with 75% of the award going towards the stipend, and 25% used towards research expenditures.
- The Arnold O. Beckman Postdoctoral Fellows Award is a merit based program; issues of gender, race and financial need will not be considered contributing factors in the application review process.
- This program is an Open Call; institutions are not limited to the number of candidates which may apply.
To submit an Application, set up an account with our Online Grant System to complete the application and see the full list of required documents (link in page). Once you’ve created an account, proceed to the Arnold O. Beckman Postdoc Application.
The application portal will generally be open for submissions June – September. Please check the online portal for exact deadlines each year.
Incomplete applications and/or materials received after the deadline will be eliminated from the competition.
Award notifications generally are released in April.
Criteria for applicants at time of application:
- At a U.S. college, university or institution which offers postdoctoral fellowships and holds a 501(c)(3), or similarly qualifying, IRS designation;
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States;
- Granted/conferred PhD, MD, or MD/PhD; and
- May be eligible for a tenure track position at a scientific research institution at the end of the Arnold O. Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Criteria for Sponsoring Mentor at time of application:
- PhD, MD, or MD/PhD; and
- Full-time tenured or tenure track; and
- Active investigator in the Applicant’s area of research; and
- Mentors may only sponsor one applicant for consideration
Any of the following conditions will render an applicant ineligible:
- At the time of application, applicants with more than 36 months of postdoctoral experience (cumulative) in a research lab, or who are more than 5 years from their PhD, MD, MD/PhD, are not eligible to apply.
- Visa holders are not eligible to apply.
- Arnold O. Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship Awards may not be used to support the clinical years of residency training;
Applicants may not have faculty appointments.
Contact the Program Administrator: