Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
From the Foundation's Executive Director and Staff:
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
At the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation, we acknowledge, appreciate and support the fundamental roles that diversity, equity and inclusion have in scientific progress and innovation. We are infusing these values throughout our internal culture, systems, and practices. We seek applicants from all backgrounds in our programs and strive to ensure a fair and equitable process for selection of awardees, recognizing that excellent science is not the exclusive endeavor of one group of people, but of all people, working collaboratively to accomplish unique solutions to challenging scientific questions.
Our founders challenged us that "there is no satisfactory substitute for excellence" and "absolute integrity in all things" - not just in the research laboratory, but in life. Strengthening diversity, equity, and inclusion across the Foundation is an ongoing process and we will continue to evaluate our work and processes to identify areas where we can evolve and grow to best support the community we serve.
What We Are Doing
- Using technology to hide applicant information pertaining to name, gender, sexual identity, ethnicity, citizenship status and institutional information from reviewers to help avoid implicit and explicit bias during the review process
- Tracking the effectiveness of our award processes relative to diversity and inclusion to measure where we can focus our efforts and ensure that the needs of all award winners are considered
- Communicating award opportunities broadly to reach underrepresented groups
- Established Code of Conduct for all awardees for research integrity and inclusive interactions
- Supporting open dialogue, safe and healthy communication practices
Where We Are Going
- Conducting annual reviews of our diversity, equity and inclusion policies, practices and procedures, starting in the fall of 2020
- Developing a diverse Board of Directors, leadership and staff within the Foundation
- Completing annual harassment prevention, anti-oppression, and anti-bias training for all staff
Updated: June 23, 2020